What income is non-taxable?

The City does not tax unearned income. Examples of unearned income are:

  • Alimony Received
  • Capital Gains (Unless Taxed as Ordinary Income)
  • Clergy Housing Allowance
  • Dividends
  • Interest
  • Military Pay Is Also Not Taxable
  • Most Pension or Retirement Income
  • Social Security
  • State Unemployment Benefits
  • Welfare Assistance
  • Worker’s Compensation

Additionally, income earned by individuals under 18 is not taxable by the City until the day they reach age 18. If Trenton taxes have been withheld while you were under age 18, you may file for a refund of this amount of tax on income earned before your birthday. (Attach proof of age, such as a copy of your driver’s license or birth certificate).

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to file a return?
2. Do I have to file a return if I work in Trenton but live elsewhere?
3. What income is taxed by the City?
4. What income is non-taxable?
5. What expenses are deductible from earned income on the return?
6. What if I also earn incidental income on the side?
7. What if I earn incidental income from more than one unincorporated business?
8. How are net operating losses from side businesses treated?